Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dogs and birds, birds and dogs...


This past week we've had some pretty interesting animal encounters. First, last Weds. evening as we are rushing to get Owen home from school and off to soccer practice, this little blue jay decides to check us out...literally! This bird was practically in the van! Then he flew over to the deck railing where he couldn't have been more than a foot away from me! Gavin reached out his finger to touch the bird and it pecked at him like he was a worm. This funny little thing stuck around for awhile, unfortunately, we were not able to stop for long and play because we were on the run!

Then, this morning I was standing at my kitchen sink drinking a cup of chai when this little brown dachshund appears along the neighbors fence line. I had never seen this kind of dog in our neighborhood before so I figured he was lost, and also that something was up with him because he kept bumping into the wire fence. We brought him inside and he was the nicest fellow. Not one bark, not on the furniture, tolerated the kids...perhaps a message to us from higher powers that we needed an animal? I called all of the appropriate authorities, went out and bought him a can of food and came home to a message from his owner. Aparently, "Bubba", who is blind...was forgotten about when she let her other dogs out this morning. The kicker...he lives across the street from us! The only house that I don't know who the neighbors are. In fact, if I didn't see the mailman delivering mail there on a regular basis, I wouldn't have thought anyone lived there. Small world...and perhaps a sign that we are not meant to have a pet?...yet!

No comments: